The house is an Italian villa with cupola and low–pitched roof, bracketed cornice, two-storey polygonal bays, and round arched windows. The original verandas have been removed. The stone is the local limestone quarried near Mendota and along the banks of the Mississippi River.
In 1915, Theodore Wright Griggs, another son of Chauncey W. Griggs married Mary Livingston. Their daughter, Mary L. Griggs was responsible for remodeling the interior with period rooms purchased in Europe, Magnus Jemne and Edwin Lundie, architects. (Millett, 19) A gift to the MNHS in 1968, tours of the mansion were available for a few years. It is now private property.