The law partners of William H. Lightner and George B. Young built their double house at 322-324 Summit Avenue in 1886 for $23,000, with Gilbert and Taylor as architects. The two lawyer and their architects maintained offices in the same downtown building and socially belonged to the same clubs: Town and Country Golf Club, White Bear Yacht Club, Minnesota Club, Minnesota Boat Club. Business and pleasure combined profitably on the Avenue within neighborly visiting distance to James and Mary Hill.
The facade indicates two houses: Young's showing three floors of glassy purplish Sioux quartzite with Bayfield brownstone trim; Lightner's showing two floors of stonework with the third floor a shingled gable.