The Driscoll home is the oldest house on the Avenue – one of the oldest in St. Paul – and definitely a home with a history! An early 1859 photograph by Joel Whitney shows it as an Italian villa with cupola, one of six residences on the barren bluff that formed the background for a Red River dog team just arrived from Pembina. General Herman Haupt, Civil War engineer entertained President Benjamin Harrison here. Later, Robert Armstrong Smith, private secretary to territorial governor Willis Gorman, and an early mayor of St. Paul, lived in this house.
In 1901, Arthur Driscoll, son of Frederick Driscoll, his wife Helen, daughter and six sons moved in, adding a three-story addition in the rear and stuccoing the brick façade. Remnants of the Italianate style can be seen in the low roof line and the paired second floor windows with their Victorian arched heads.